Writers tend to fall into two categories when it comes to social media. They either hate it or they love it. Instagram in recent years has completely taken off with 600 million active users worldwide! But I don’t blame writers who think Instagram is not for them. After all, writing a novel on a computer isn’t very interesting or glamorous to look at. However, with so many users and our readers being on Instagram, it’s a social media platform worth exploring and If we’re serious about getting our books and author brands out in the world, Instagram is something we should be on! If you feel lost, daunted and have no idea what to post, here are a few ideas:
Books & Writing
- Countdown to new releases to generate buzz
- Your book: Printed, on a tablet, mocked up, reading your books
- Signing your book
- Bookstores, bookcases
- Pictures of Books your reading.
- Pictures of your book case, bookstores or digital library.
- Quotes from you and your books created in Canva.
- Snippets of your writing.
Word Counts achieved or goals.
Readers and followers want to know you are a real human being and not just a mysterious being with an author photo. So life pictures can be basically anything you want to share. But here are a few ideas:
- Pets are very popular with the writer community, #writerswithdogs
- Kids and your family.
- Food, #foodie
- Activities like walking, art galleries or going to the beach.
- Anything that catches your eye, #flowerlovers
Inspiration and Motivation
- Your favorite quotes
- Motivational quotes
- Your author logo and branding
- Your latest blog post image and the link. The link wont be live in Instagram but people will know you’ve just released new content that they can visit.
- Freebies, giveaways and competitions to build your email list.
- Sign up for your mailing list
The writing process is an internal one. Instagram when used right, can give a glimpse of our internal world with the outside world. P.S: Follow me on Instagram!